Thursday, July 17, 2008

Keeping the Beat

Occasionally, you encounter moments that make you think that everything is right with the world. Yesterday, I was provided with exactly that.

I was stopped at a traffic light at an intersection. At the end of each crosswalk were those crosswalk signs with the blinking red numbers that tell you how much time you have left. I also happened to be listening to the radio at the time. 104.1 FM was playing that song (I don't know the name) with the lyrics "Don't scream about / don't think about / turn your head now baby just spit me out."

Anyway, it was to my astonishment that the flashing of the remaining seconds on the crosswalk sign (15...14...13...) was almost exactly synchronized with the rhythm of the song, which had reached an instrumental interlude of sorts. I expected the flashing numbers and the beat of the song to fall out of sync within a moment, but, no, that was not the case. It was surreal. What's more - at the moment that the crosswalk sign flashed "0," a cymbal crashed to signal the end of that section of the song and the beginning of a new one.

It may have been for merely an instant, but for those fifteen seconds, I felt as though I were at the center of a perfectly harmonious world.

3 comments:

tim said...

casey, that song would be by collective soul, i believe december is the title.

keep up the good work

when you were young said...

why thank you, timothy

gbz said...

I don't think it's safe to drive and smoke pot casey.